When we lived at Stadium Terrace someone came up with the great idea to make a roommate Christmas card. It was the single best idea ever. We only got 4 of the 6 roommates, but it was epic. Imagine: Rebecca in a sombrero and poncho, Becky in cowgirl getup holding a fake mini Christmas tree, Marie in green fleece, basketball shorts, long socks and one green and one red heel, and me in a white tulle skirt with a red and white striped shirt wrapped with Christmas lights and wearing the other shoes to the pair Marie was wearing. I wish I had a picture to share, but I don't. However, if you come over I would be thrilled to show you the card.
Last year Marie and I decided that it would be great to take another roommate Christmas card, just the two of us. Somehow I talked her into taking the pictures at the Helaman Halls Invitational. It was decked out. There was a life size fake gingerbread house, a pond with a bridge going over it, and even a horse drawn carriage. Legit. We ended up dressing up, each in a pair of the same Christmas heels.
The best part about the whole thing is that I was so mad at Marie (I think it was about always sitting on the better couch...) that I had signed a contract without telling her for the next school year. I know. Terrible. I had even tried to come up with a way to have my own Christmas card without telling her. But now I'm really grateful that we did do them together, because it was the beginning of me wondering why I was choosing to live without her the next year.
I would also like to point out that the night we took the pictures at Invitational, Skyler was running around all in charge. Marie and I rode on the carriage with Erynn, who would later be a CA with me. Ariel was there. These people that I would intimately know in 6 months were there and I didn't care about them at all. Isn't it funny how things turn out? In one of the pictures that we chose to put on our Christmas card we are standing in front of the gingerbread house, and the M&Ms on it were painted by Skyler. It's just strange. Annette once mentioned that we've probably all seen each other before the summer, that we could have sat next to each other at devotional or at the same table in the library and we had no idea that one day we would be best friends. It just makes me wonder who it is that I am passing by or barely interacting with that could one day be my best friend, my husband, or my future roommate.
These shoes represent tradition, consistency, friendship, good times, the holidays, and the endless possibilities surrounding me in the terms of eternal relationships. Because when it comes down to it, my friends from this past summer and the girls that so graciously graced the ST 17 Christmas cards are all people that I expect to see well into the eternities.



1 comment:
ba ha ha!!! good times. good times!!! best apartment ever!
Post a Comment