Monday, October 18, 2010

Day Six: No Fat Talk

Prompt: Refrain from talk about weight or shape of self and others. Be aware of how often you compare yourself to others, and evaluate how this makes you feel. How difficult was it to avoid fat talk?

I'm not usually the kind of person who sits there and talks about how fat I am. But I do have a tendency to reflect on my body size/shape. Most often I think about how my clothes look on me: whether something is too short, too tight or too thin. With the exception of wondering if my dress was too short as it stuck to my tights, I don't think I thought about it all day.

However, as the night began to wind down I was sitting in the living room with some friends, and Blake tossed his cell phone on my stomach, a common occurrence for us. When someone tossed one on Chelsey's stomach it bounced off without any jiggling. I decided to tighten my muscles to see if it would have the same affect. Nope. It jiggled even more. We all laughed as I explained that it was because my muscle layer contracted together leaving the fat globules to do their own thing. But as I said it I didn't mean it as in "oh, it's because I'm fat."

I also do know that I compare myself to others a lot. I often think that if I were prettier or thinner maybe someone would be dating me. But again I think that this is a tragic thought that we all think. So what if Hilary has the body that I only dream of having? She's also a good couple inches taller than I am, has a different genetic make-up and grew up differently than I did. I am me, through and through, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: