Saturday, December 5, 2009

Bad Sense of Humor.

First off, sorry about the delay in posting. I know that some of you can't really live without reading my posts and therefore have probably been reading back posts. I needed that break. November had a ton of posts. Especially because of that people project that didn't work as well as it was supposed to. Anyhow, I figured that because I made you wait I'd give you a great and awkward post as a welcome home. Here we go.

Earlier this week I got a text from this friend I have. It was a male. It said something along the lines of "hey, there are a few fun things going on this weekend, would you want to do something with me?". Okay. So I've always been afraid that this guy has had some sort of feelings for me, like more than just the friendly kind and more than I have ever felt for him. But I'm paranoid, so I push these thoughts out of my mind. Along with the text. So I didn't respond. And then a few days later I got a phone call while I was in the bathroom. He left a voicemail. He wanted to know if I wanted to do something this weekend. The thing is, I couldn't tell if he was asking me on a date or not. So I waited for a few days and called a few people to make plans so that I would be busy when I finally talked to him.

So Friday I'm at work not working and his sister-in-law (who happens to have been my boss at one point) walks by and asks with this all knowing smile "so Jessica, do you know what you're doing tomorrow?". That's when I knew that this was meant as a date. So I finally sent him a text back and he wanted to go to a Saturday matinee of A Christmas Carol. Which of course was during the only time I hadn't set apart. So I agreed. Story of my life.

He came to pick me up, and I figured if we were just hanging out as friends he'd call from the car. He came to the door. Wearing contacts. It was a date.

We went down to the car. He opened the door for me. This was so a date.

He pointed out that he had the Nutcracker playing on his CD player. We went to the theater at the mall. I was still not completely convinced that it was a date. So I wasn't sure if I was supposed to pay for my ticket or not. There were two windows open that the line fed to and I was hoping that one would open up and he would go up first and if he bought one ticket I'd go to the other and buy my own. The windows opened up at the same time. And I didn't know what to do. So I hung back a tad bit just waiting to hear. He bought two. This was definitely a date.

He didn't know how the tickets were supposed to be separated between the two of us. We walked by the concession stand. He asked me if I wanted anything. I cringed inside. I was on a date.

The movie wasn't very good. But the previews were. He thought that all the movies for the previews looked weird. He wanted to walk around the mall afterwards. I told him I was doing my Christmas shopping after arriving home. We left the mall. He admitted to believing in Santa until he was 10 and his parents told him he wasn't real anymore. It was the same day he found out that Leprechauns and the Easter Bunny were fake.

We got back to my place. I was planning on saying I had a good time as I got out of the car door. He unbuckled his seat belt. He was walking me to the door. We were approaching the end of the date.

We got to the door, and I went to open it to avoid hugging him. We've hugged before, but I didn't want to hug him at the end of the date because I didn't want him to be encouraged. He followed me inside. I started washing dishes so the counter was between us. Finally he said that he needed to go. I went to open the door for him. He stood in a place that suggested he wanted a hug. I told him I had had a good time and didn't take my hand off the doorknob. He thanked me and left.

I went on a date.

Moral of the story is: pray for specifics. If you ask to start dating so you can find your eternal companion, Heavenly Father will try to be funny. I'm not laughing. It's not funny. Sometimes He has a bad sense of humor.

5 comments:

Megan Licious said...

hahahahaha.

im sorry jessica.

they do always say in general conference to be specific when you pray..

becky bunnell said...

1. LOVE the new look
2. I was in a Jessica post drought so thanks for posting again.
3. This is hilarious! Especially the part that you planned on doing something except for the time of the date.
4. Again hilarious because he followed you inside. LOVE it!

rochelle: said...

i smiled the whole time i read this. he LOOOOVEEESSS YOUUUU! :)

Ashley said...

I really was missing your posts. I kept checking back to see if you updated. Thanks for updating.

Love the story. I'm glad you went on a date, but not glad that it was weird.

Joanna said...

Be careful. I'm dating a guy I didn't want to hug at the end of our first "date" that I didn't really know it was a date until we were on the date. hahaha, aww awkwardness. love it. embrace it. I did. I love you Jessica, I do hope you can go out with a guy you are semi interested in soon though. :)