That was one of the scariest things I've ever done in my life.
First off, it was just intimidating to have to sit backstage with those guys. They're all friends and have known each other for awhile now, and I'm just sitting there like, "hey... how's it going?". Don't get me wrong, everyone was very nice. Just intimidating. Luckily Callie and Katie were back there. At one point we were just talking and Callie was like, "this is so nice. Before you two were here it was just me and them."
Want some backstage access? Let me introduce you.
Kyle is not only a very talented comedian but he is also the tech guy, so he doesn't hang out with the rest of us because he has to do all the technical crap. He brought his fiance (who's name is also Katie). I talked to her for a bit. She's very nice. I asked her how they met, and apparently after Kyle's very first show she thought he was funny so she left her name and number on a comment card after the show. The next day he called and asked her on a date. Now they're getting married in June.
Tanner wears a headset and walks around making sure everything is running smoothly. I always felt like I was in his way. Best Tanner moment of the night was when it was just the two of us in the green room and he started talking to someone on his headset, just to realize that his wasn't turned on. Slightly awkward.
Josh was the other green spot. He was the first performer. He did great! When I got there Josh was calmly sitting down, and I was like, "how are you so calm? I want to vomit and I don't even go on for 3 hours!"
Matt is great. He's a very nice guy. He kept leaving the show to join his ward party upstairs to eat more pizza. At one point he was stretching before he went out and he was like, "Don't you love it when you buy a pair of jeans and they don't really fit that great, but after a week they're perfect!" I was like, "yeah, until you have to wash them again." Matt also told me that he LOVES my "that's not true" joke. Like he thinks about it all the time. Soul mates.
Pete's the president. He's nice and encouraging but also stern. It works for him. Halfway through the first show he ordered everyone Cafe Rio (with the club's money, or course).
Lam was there with his girlfriend. It was his birthday. I didn't get a lot of exposure to Lam because he was being all cute with his girlfriend. But he is HILARIOUS!
Devan is full of himself. Most people see the show and think that he must have been a popular stuck up kid in high school. Last night I learned that that is completely true. He made it a point of reliving his glory days. At one point I asked him if he wanted to tell us how good looking he was. His response was that he's seen a couple of guys that are better looking than he is. Like me, Devan is from Southern California and went to a school where he was a minority. Although he has tons of racist jokes, Devan loves people of color more than he loves other white people. At least that's what he was explaining to me.
Callie is very cute. She got there late as Kyle had lost a mitten and she needed to go buy him some new ones. It was really fun talking to her and getting to know her.
Katie was the nicest person of the night. She said hello to me at the very beginning, asked me how I was feeling, and kind of let me tag along all evening. She's the newest official member of Humor U, but I never felt like she was trying to impress anyone, which was something I was trying to do all night.
Stephen is the best! He was talking to me all night. Mostly while he rehearsed his Bill Cosby bit, or while he was stretching his butt or back, or while he was doing handstands and dancing. He paced a lot, talked really fast, and I'm pretty sure I only caught half of it. I always thought that he would be really into himself, and I think he realizes that he's really funny, and he's kind of mentally out there, but he is a really nice guy.
Bryson was MCing for the night so I didn't get to talk to him a lot. It was his first time MCing and I could tell he was nervous about it. Bryson: you did alright.
Jefferson had this great song called "Get Out All You Racists", but he didn't perform it because it was too... racy, I guess.
Everyone was nice. It was also fun to realize that we were all the more liberal people at BYU. And I don't even mean politically. I mean we had a conversation about wanting to go see "Precious" even though it was rated R, and talked about "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", which is a very naughty show that's on FX late at night for a reason.
Best moment of the night was when I was standing next to Stephen and Lam while Jefferson was performing his Obama piece. Stephen looked at Lam and said something about Obama. I asked them if they voted for him. Lam said yeah and asked if I had. I said yes. Stephen didn't. He voted for McCain. He said that he knew his vote wasn't going to matter anyway. But yes, I felt like I made a slight connection when I said that I had voted for him.
Part of my conversation with Katie and Callie mentioned that I had a gay brother. Then Katie was like, "I have a gay uncle!" and then Callie said "I have a gay cousin!" We then determined that my brother was Katie's uncle and Callie's cousin.
Now, my set was... scary. I walked out there and I was so nervous. My first few jokes went fine (except I learned that I needed to put the mic right up to my face) but then I said this Gary Coleman joke and no one laughed. The room went silent. And I was so nervous that I forgot my next joke and just stood up there panicking for five seconds. Which is a very long time when 400 people are staring at you.
Minnie And Me
2 weeks ago



1 comment:
I was JUST about to text you to ask how it went then I thought, I should just check out her blog. Good thing. I guess the most exciting part was the backstage which I wouldn't have been able to go to anyway so now I don't feel too bad.
Not really though JEssica!!! I still am so sad that I couldn't go! It sounds like you did awesome. 400 people!!!!!!!!!!! - now know who you are and that you are beautiful and hilarious and one of the coolest people on earth. Good job jessica, once again I am sorry i couldn't get tickets in time.
Post a Comment