So like previously written about, I was invited to go to the Humor U meetings because I did well at the November open mic. So I went tonight.
So in the beginning everyone signs up to rehearse something on the board, and the actual club members go first and if there's time left over the "visitors" have a shot. At the very beginning we witnessed a historical event: Jefferson turned the presidency over to Pete. Anyway, on to the important things.
So the club members went first. They perform some stuff and then everyone else gives feedback. At one point I raised my hand after Pete went, and he called on me and was like, "I'm sorry, I don't remember your name but I recognize you from the open mic," and I was like, "It's Jessica." And then he asked me if I wanted my name written on the board. I had already written it. But then I gave him my feedback.
So then the club members were done and it was on to the "visitors". Some of them were good... others not so much. This one guy at the end bombed. It was sad. But for my turn I walked up there and Matt was like, "Hey, you're that 'that's not true!' girl!", and I was like, "yup, that was me." Then I gave my bit. There was a lot of laughing at some things, and not so much at others. I also got some really good feedback that I think will make my jokes a lot funnier.
Except... there was this one really awkward moment... I had this joke about the new show featuring the Jackson 5, and when I asked if anyone knew what I was talking about, Steven recited one of the lines. And I didn't really know what he had said, so I was just like, "uh... yeah," and it was awkward. Then someone was like, "oh, Steven has the whole commercial memorized", so I said one of the lines (with an accent), and afterwards I looked at Steven and asked if he knew what I was talking about. He just stared at me like I was only asking him because he was black. AWKWARD.
So... fingers crossed for January greenspot.
Minnie And Me
2 weeks ago



No comments:
Post a Comment