Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Good Days Start Like This

I'm a very grumpy waker upper.  I need absolutely no one to say a single word to me as I make my way to the bathroom to shower.  Once I have had a whole 30 minutes to myself in the bathroom (most of which are showering but include the morning pee and teeth brushing) I can function.  My alarm goes off every day at 9am (I know, I know.  By that point MOST people are out and about.  I should start setting it to at least 8...  I justify it because Marie's alarm goes off at the same time.) and most days I just snooze it.  At least twice but sometimes I've been known to snooze it until 10:30.  Luckily for Marie I put my phone on vibrate and hold it in my hand.  But during those snooze times I will get text messages and read them, but fall back asleep so quickly that I forget I got one.  I think that it was part of a dream.  Until later when I see my last text was a picture from my brother of Apolo Ohno on a wall at Subway (I think that's what it was...). 

Lately though, it hasn't been that big of an issue to get out of bed if I've gone to sleep at a decent hour.  And recently I've woken up really happy.  And I'm happy because I have woken up and it's not too hot in my room.  The window is open and my fan is blowing on me.  It's cool enough in my room that sometime during the night I have reached over and added a blanket on top of the sheet I went to sleep with.  I then wake up snug as a bug in my favorite pink snuggle blanket at the perfect temperature.  Often the sun is shining into my room.  Once it was raining and that was lovely.  And by this point I have yet to leave my room to discover JaJa has once again taken over the living room and our home smells like B.O.  No, for just a little while I can snuggle in my bed happy to be alive.

Sometimes I wake up and Marie is in her bed and I remember how lucky I am that for some reason she chooses to share a room with me and has become my best friend. 

It's pretty much a charmed life.